Advent is the beginning of New Year in the Church, a time of anticipation and a time of preparation. It is also a time to look back, and reconnect with where we have been and where we are. It is also a season where we have Wednesday Supper Programs. This year the Formation Committee has planned a different type of Advent series. It will be a series based on our Renewal Works Program undertaken last year. You remember Renewal works! We came away from Renewal works with five areas of Attention:
- An Instructed Eucharist (we had this April 30th)
- Musical Diversity: Most easily experienced with the Caribbean Hallelujah
- Embedding the Bible in Church activity and everyday life. Our new Tuesday Bible Study group is one example of this.
- The Daily Office Our committee meetings start or finish with one of the Daily Offices: Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer or Compline.
- An Anglican Tutorial We have had the program on Tradition, and this season we will discuss Reason and Scripture.
OUR ADVENT SUPPER SERIES 2017:
When: Wednesdays: December 6th, 13th and 20th
How it Works: Sign-up sheets are in the Narthex, and people sign up to attend, some bring soup, some bread and others juice.
We meet at 5:30 for food and fellowship followed by the topic for the evening (see below). We conclude the evening with Compline.
December 6th: Renewal Works Reviewed and Renewed: Aleen Josephs Clarke, our Renewal Works facilitator will take us back through the process that resulted in our five topics and we will see where we are and where we want to go with these areas of focus
December 13th: Anglican Reason The thinking behind our Church from its beginnings to today, presented by Warden Mark Debald
December 20th: Anglican Scripture Father Tyler will talk about Anglican handling of scripture and the “via media” or middle road chosen by Anglican theologians and philosophers over our denomination’s 500 year history.
I hope to see you there!
Formation Committee Chair